The general purpose of CASSW is to promote the professional growth of School Social Work (SSW) in schools and to influence the California school system to maintain and increase responsiveness to the social, emotional, educational and mental health needs of all students.
- To promote and interpret SSW services to school staff, school districts, State and National legislative bodies, advocacy groups and the broader community, thereby advancing the presence of SSW services and programs.
- To advocate for the increased presence of School Social Work programs, services and personnel in schools.
- To join with graduate Schools of Social Work in California offering the Pupil Personnel Services Credential (PPSC) for School Social Work and Child Welfare and Attendance to:
- work together to promote the overall health of the profession through best practices
- provide support to the preparation and career building of future School Social Workers.
- To promote collaboration and teamwork across the California Pupil Personnel Services professions – School Counselors, School Psychologists, School Social Workers and Officers of Child Welfare and Attendance – and other organizations that support and promote student support services.
CASSW is affiliated with the NASWCA School Social Work Council